What are the possible side effects of amifostine (Ethyol)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives, itching; chest tightness, difficult breathing; fever or chills; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.Some of the side effects of amifostine may occur up to several weeks after you receive this medication.Tell your caregiver right away if you have a serious side effect such as:
- feeling like you might pass out;
- chest pain, fast or slow heart rate;
- weak or shallow breathing;
- seizure (convulsions);
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- severe skin rash on your stomach, back, or trunk;
- redness, rash, or blisters on the palms of your hands or the soles of your feet; or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting;
- dizziness, drowsiness;
- flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling);
- cold feeling;
- sneezing; or
- mild fever, general ill feeling.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.