Joint Pain : When to see a doctor?
Make an appointment with your doctor if your joint pain is accompanied by:
- Tenderness and warmth around the joint
See a doctor immediately if your joint pain is caused by an injury and is accompanied by:
- Joint deformity
- Inability to use the joint
- Intense pain
- Sudden swelling
When caring for mild joint pain at home, follow these tips:
- Try an over-the-counter pain reliever, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) or naproxen sodium (Aleve).
- Avoid using your joint in ways that cause or worsen pain.
- Apply an ice pack to your painful joint for 15 to 20 minutes a few times each day.