What are the contraindications of 8-MOP?
- Patients exhibiting idiosyncratic reactions to psoralen compounds.
- Patients possessing a specific history of light sensitive disease states should not initiate methoxsalen therapy. Diseases associated with photosensitivity include lupus erythematosus, porphyria cutanea tarda, erythropoietic protoporphyria, variegate porphyria, xeroderma pigmentosum, and albinism.
- Patients exhibiting melanoma or possessing a history of melanoma.
- Patients exhibiting invasive squamous cell carcinomas.
- Patients with aphakia, because of the significantly increased risk of retinal damage due to the absence of lenses.
Last reviewed on RxList: 12/15/2008
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.