What are the treatments for Abdominal Aneurysm?
The list of treatments mentioned in various sources
for Abdominal Aneurysm
includes the following list.
Always seek professional medical advice about any treatment
or change in treatment plans.
- Monitoring via ultrasound
- Surgical repair of aneurysm
- Emergency vascular surgery for ruptured aneurysm
- Treatment of an aortic abdominal aneurysm is influenced by the location of the aneurysm (supra or infra renal), the size of the aneurysm, whether the aneurysm has leaked or not (emergency rather than elective management), as well as the age, treatment preferences, and other health problems of the patient. Treatments include:
- Observation - Often utilised with abdominal aneurysms < 5.5cm diameter
- Aggressive control of risk factors - smoking cessation, control of high blood pressure and lipids
- ICU - supportive therapy for leaking aneurysms
- Blood pressure management
- Fluid and blood replacement
- Assisted ventilation
- Surgery -AAA repair
- Palliative management concentrating in symptom control rather than active intervention - utilised if there has been a severe bleed and quality of life is unlikely to result from intervention, or if the patients age and comorbidities preclude surgery