Question and answer
Acute sinusitis complications include:
- Asthma flare-ups. Acute sinusitis can trigger an asthma attack.
- Chronic sinusitis. Acute sinusitis may be a flare-up of a long-term problem known as chronic sinusitis. Chronic sinusitis is sinusitis that lasts longer than eight weeks.
- Meningitis. This occurs when infection spreads to the lining of the brain.
- Vision problems. If infection spreads to your eye socket, it can cause reduced vision or even blindness. This is a medical emergency that requires immediate treatment to prevent potentially permanent damage.
- Ear infection. Acute sinusitis may occur with an ear infection.